Monday, March 23, 2015

Allergies, Allergies, Allergies Oh My!

Happy Monday to you! Today I am blogging about allergies...yes, allergies.  Our poor little guy has been having some issues and we are finally getting to the bottom of it, thankfully!  When we went in for Campbell's 15 month appointment he had not gained any weight since his 12 month appointment.  I told the doctor that he had been having a lot of digestive issues and we both thought maybe he just had a little stomach bug.  Unfortunately, the digestive issues did not go away.  Our doctor started to really worry about Campbell's weight and symptoms, so she sent us in for allergy testing. She said that if he was eating a lot of foods that he was allergic to, it could be causing all the vomiting and diarrhea he was continually having.  So, we were sent to a pediatric allergist and got a TON of allergy testing done.  I felt so bad for Campbell, but he was such a trooper.  He had to lay on me and stay still for about 20 minutes (which is impossible for a toddler) in order to get all the skin testing done on his back.  I ended up just turning on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on my phone and he laid there perfectly still the entire time! Thank you Mickey Mouse Clubhouse...we would not have survived without you :)  Poor Campbell was pretty much allergic to every single thing they put on his skin:  milk, eggs, nuts, wheat, soy.  I was so sad when I found out he had so many allergies and that I had been giving him so many things he was allergic to without realizing it.  He had been eating all of these things for months and months without any reaction to them, but the doctor explained that sometimes it takes time for allergies to manifest.  My husband, Matt, also has all the same allergies that Campbell does so he takes after his daddy!

Next, we were sent to a GI doctor and a nutritionist.  They basically set up a plan for us to follow for the next couple months.  We are doing an elimination diet where we don't give him ANY of the things he tested allergic to for two months.  After the two months is up, we are going to see how he is doing and possibly slowly add one food he's allergic to back into his diet at a time. The doctor is very hopeful that he will outgrow these allergies at some point in time.  Since cutting out all of these foods, his digestive issues have pretty much completely gone away.  Hallelujah! It has been a struggle to find things for him to eat since almost everything is made out of wheat, eggs, or milk!  Thankfully the nutritionist and PINTEREST have been so helpful to me! I guess one positive to all of these crazy allergies is we are all having to eat healthier as a family!  We are all basically eating a Paleo diet and I honestly feel better eating this way too! Here are some recipes that I have come to know and love :)




One Pot Chicken and Potatoes-I sub the regular potatoes for sweet potatoes








Taco Quinoa Bake- I don't put cheese on Campbell's portion


I hope you have a great week and thanks for stopping by! If you have any recipes that are allergy friendly please post them in the comment section below!

-Rebecca



No comments:

Post a Comment